Last week, KFC and Pizza Hut revealed their newest creation, a popcorn chicken pizza – with a gravy base.
And whilst people were excited to get their hands on it, many, including savvy shopper Samantha Eborn, weren’t so happy with the £18 price tag it comes with.
With only days until the one-off special is gone for good – it leaves the menu on Sunday 16 February – Samantha took matters into her own hands and recreated the doughy concoction at home for only £4, reports Manchester Evening News.
Samantha explained that being a keen chef at home, she and her partner regularly recreate their fast food favourites, which they call ‘fakeaways’.
She said: “Me and my boyfriend saw that Pizza Hut were bringing out this new KFC pizza and we both really wanted to try it but refused to pay £18 for just a pizza!
“Honestly no matter what I couldn’t justify spending that on a pizza, so I thought I’d have a bash myself. Came to about £4 for a 12 inch pizza so I’m thrilled! And no nasty sweetcorn either.”
Samantha has shared her recipe for the pizza with us and the list of ingredients used, which she purchased from Lidl, bar the Mayflower Southern Style Gravy which she says you can find in B&M.
Here’s a look at how you can make one for yourself as well:
- 400g strong white bread flour – 55p
- 225ml warm water
- 1 sachet dried yeast – 44p
- 1 tsp sugar – 65p
- 1 tsp salt – 18p
- 2 tbsp oil – £2.59 for 1L
- 1 bag of value chicken nuggets – £1.19 for a bag of 22
- Mild cheddar – £2.49 a bag
- Mayflower Southern Style Gravy – £1
- Preheat your oven at gas mark eight for 15 minutes.
- First mix the water, oil, sugar and yeast together in a large bowl and leave for about 10 minutes – this gives the yeast time to get to work.
- Then add the flour and salt. Once it has a dough-like consistency knead for five to ten minutes until smooth. Leave to rest for 1 hour.
- Follow the directions on the gravy box for one portion, and leave to cool.
- Cook the entire bag of chicken nuggets and chop into quarters – feel free to test that they taste okay.
- Once the dough has proved, roll it out and put it in a baking tin. If you’re feeling fancy you could make a stuffed crust by putting some cheese strings around the edge of the base and folding the dough over the top. Voila.
- Pop into the open for 15 minutes without any toppings to make sure it bakes evenly.
- Then add the cold gravy, half the cheese, the nuggets, and top with the rest of the cheese.
- Put it back in the oven until the cheese is golden, then slice and enjoy (knowing you only paid £4).